Sunday, February 25, 2007

The art of batsmanship

When I was reading this fine piece of cricketing literature last week, I found an interesting topic that I wanted to share with the world. This was the legendary English batsman Colin Cowdrey's tips to be a good batsman(assuming the batsman is right-handed). Here they are:


  • Build a sound framework: stance, grip, head.

  • The first key to batting is the head position

  • The stance must be totally relaxed, a leopard waiting to pounce

  • The grip should be left hand tight, right hand light(fingers only)

  • The head should be erect and still without being stiff and tense.

  • The second key to batting is the left shoulder which must lead and take the head to the ball.

  • The third key to batting is that the left forearm must control the stroke.

  • The back-lift must be stricly controlled and grooved.

  • The batsman should have strict rules for starting an innings which should be practised under pressure.

  • The eyes must be glued on to the ball until the point of the strike.

  • Concentrate on two levels: the next ball and the bigger picture.

  • Shot selection must be disciplined and based on pre-planning.

  • The batsman must be immune to distractions, which require a thick skin and the ability to neutralise the opposition by wither freezing them out or with a smile.

  • Build one brick a time: take the singles.

  • Bat in pairs.

  • Keep it simple.

When I started playing leather ball cricket around 15-16 years ago, what I missed was a coach who could provide me the tips listed above. If at all I did, I would have become a much better batsman than what I am. So, if you guys know any youngster who is looking promising, pass these tips without fail...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home