Saturday, March 18, 2006

Life of a pampered kid to get into the United states

I had always remained a homegrown boy. My dad and mom never let me do a single thing by myself until I was 21. I could play Cricket, ride my motorcycle, mimic (anybody including a new guy whom we met in the street before 2 mins) and of course, manage to study for my exams and get decent grades. In simple terms, I was nothing except a pampered brat. Getting into the United States is a dream for any person like me. After all, anything and everything that happened in the United states was what we guys grew up when watching the Tv and heard about in the News. For the first time in my life I was put forth with the task of writing my GRE, TOEFL, selecting the univ's and the whole list of painful things that you need to do for getting into the USA. Things in India are never as simple as what these tasks are in USA. I somewhat am envious about Americans in certain aspects.

All these things took me about 8 months-1 year to complete. If 'I was' what 'I am', I wouldn't even dream of repeating this process again. The guilt of being in USA often haunts my mind. I always think about this again and again when my inner conscience keeps echoing to me. It's the greed for money that made you do leave ur cherished homeland! The greed for better living! The greed to have the ill desire of being called a NRI- Non residential Indian!( although people back home don't know how we struggle here doing menial jobs that we wouldn't do even if we were offered millions of rupees back home) Before I deviate and take this conversation to a different domain, I guess I'd return back to my story and my former desire to get into USA.

Even after the completion of these processes and getting accepted into the universities, it is not guaranteed that you might get into the US. The biggest hurdle to cross would be getting the visa to set ur step into this country. If you got the visa, most of the Indians would call it the best day in their lives. The sad thing was, until last year I was one of those Indians who rated it the best ever moment in my life!

The visa process is a painful one.( Specially for a man who loves his country) The people who go to the visas are treated in par to the criminals. We are looked at, shouted at, treated sarcastically and often accused of lying. None of the officers believe what we say! You have to dance according to the tunes of the officer and make way for his whims and fancies to convince him. Some are succesful and some are not. I was among the sucessful people who got the visa from the toughest officer in the embassy in record time! Was a surprise initially and I would refuse to believe it until I got my Passport back with the American Visa stamped on it. And when I did, my mom and dad saw me in a pose that was something similar to Kapil Dev with the 1983 world cup or like Michael Jordan lifting the NBA trophy.

I thought happy days in the USA had arrived.......but eversince i stepped foot into this country....things haven't been as happy as I thought it would be. My experiences and my present life in the USA.....will follow....in my next few Blogs.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sunil....Things will get better man ...but i agree..there is nothing better than being at homee.

6:58 PM  
Blogger sensiblystoned said...

you suck maan.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

would love to hear a lot of those experiences, before i follow suite...
keep them coming mate
cheers

12:33 PM  
Blogger catch 22 said...

I think you did what you thought was right at that point of time. Now if you feel that you have made a wrong choice you will get a chance correct it, don worry.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Raghu said...

hey sunil, chill da. there is so much left in life da. i understand ur feeling. be proactive and look ahead. no point licking ur wounds. everyone is in pretty much the same situation. all the best mate!!!!

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well .. People dont come to USA for want of a better living alone. In case of people who do their Masters it also is more of wanting to study what you like in a better environment, which I think very few places in India have to offer.
About the rest I agree
-

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr.Pampered kid. I think there is nothing to be proud of this fact, and by now living away from your parents you should have been able to rectify this title.
To all people who are going to comment on this article and who have already done so, please do not sympathize this. As far as iam concerened this is pure propaganda. Mr pampered kid would be better of in the the beloved motherland doing propoganda than doing menial, jobs or suffering in the united states which iam sure he has not.
He lives a great life, physically, does everything here taht he would do back in his motherland. I think the only thing he misses here is being pampered.
This comment here is not propoganda as this article is, because iam the guy who lives with this pampered kid.
Hey sunil look at things around you which you really must write about. I personally do not like to talk about my achievements or my problems, because i think its not imporatant. I think you drop the idea of the second part to this article and write something worth while and imporatnt and things people should know.

And most of all the TRUTH IS MUST.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kid its good to know that atleast now you know you are no more a kid....... u belong to that 1% that wish to travel to another country, and achieved that ....... so if another wish takes a little longer it doesnt mean you havnt grown yet ......

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr...looks like you have been sleeping man...the world is getting smaller and everyone needs to make a living..if you dont find what u want in your country you need to go out and search...higher the risk and effort higher the reward...if u cant keep up with life and the truth..stop calling urself a stallion....mare shld be fine

2:21 PM  
Blogger Arvind M Venugopal said...

you may not believe this, but when i applied to all the schools, when i did apply for my M.S., i had no idea what in the world i was doing... i had no desire to make money, no special desire to pursue a higher education or research... it was just one of those going-through the motions kind of a thing... iut was either a job or an M.S., and i was going the M.S. way... when i landed in the u.s., i landed at my cousin's place... only when i started my grad-life did i realize that i had made such a big step without even thinking more about it... however, all things in life happen for a reason, and happen for a special reason...

and the best part of life in itself is that right when you think you've figured out whats happening with you, you discover a sweet little surprise around the corner...

motivation comes from within, and when it comes at more difficult times, it really seperates you from being just-another person...

the key is to realize that, the passion is the most important... the location, the methodology, the field does not really matter, as long as you have the drive, the desire, and the passion to do what you feel from within...

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home